Not sure how to measure your portions? Maybe there are no measuring tools available. Maybe the timing to measure is awkward. Luckily, your hand can be used to estimate appropriate portion sizes. Here are ways you can create a helping hand:
- Your fist = 1 cup of cereal
- Palm of your hand = 3 ounces of meat, fish, or chicken
- Your thumb = 1 ounce of cheese
- Handful of nuts = 1 ounce of nuts.
- Handful of shredded cheese = 1 ounce of cheese
You can also use household objects as a visual aid to help estimate your portion sizes. A deck of cards is pretty close to a 3oz portion of meat, while a regular household light bulb is about the same size as 1 portion of fruit or vegetable.
Keep in mind, hand sizes do vary, so be sure to compare the size of your fist to an actual measuring cup.